FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

What carpentry services do you offer?

At On Point, outbuildings are our speciality, but that’s not to say we can’t take on the broadest range of carpentry jobs, big and small. Whether you have a residential project and are looking for anything from a staircase handrail repair to the design and installation of solid wood flooring, we will be happy to take on your job. We can advise, design and implement extensions to your home too, and even help with conversions or the complete fabrication of a new build.  

Where can I get my groundwork done in Norfolk?

We undertake all groundworks necessary at the beginning and end of a construction project. We work closely with other subcontractors to ensure all groundworks are completed to the highest standards, from drainage and other pipework, and even overseeing the building of new roads if necessary. Our groundworks will provide the foundation to your build, and we can project manage it every step of the way.

Do I need planning permission for my outbuilding?

Planning permission for a shed may not be necessary, but if you’re planning a larger build, or a revision to your existing building – even in terms of its use, whether it’s modified or not – then it is wise to fully research the planning laws before deciding on your requirements. The government planning website, https://www.planningni.gov.uk suggests the following recommendations for outbuildings, but this is by no means an exhaustive list, so further investigation is suggested before embarking on your build.

Planning permission is not required provided that:

1. The shed / greenhouse / building is used for domestic purposes only.

2. The ground area covered by the shed/greenhouse/building and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.

3. No part of the shed / greenhouse / building is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road.

4. The maximum height of the shed / greenhouse / building is 4 metres.

5. The maximum eaves height of the shed / greenhouse / building is 2.5 metres if it is within 2 metres of the property boundary.

6. No part of the shed / greenhouse / building is within 3.5 metres of the boundary with a road to the rear of the house.

7. If you live in a house within a World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park the maximum total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and pools situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the house does not exceed 10 square metres.

8. If you live in a house within a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park the shed / greenhouse / building is not situated between the principal or side elevation of the house and its boundary.

9. The building is not used for the keeping of pigeons.

Note: Measurements are always calculated using external measurements.

If you live in a house which is a listed building, it is likely that you will need Listed Building Consent for any building operations. If the development is within the curtilage of a listed building you may need to submit a planning application for the work unless listed building consent has already been granted. Your local planning office will be able to advise you.

What is an Eco House?

An eco house is a building – usually a new build – that uses ecological building practices and materials in order to reduce its impact on the carbon footprint. 

This could mean using materials that are better for insulating, reducing heat and energy loss, or adding energy sources to your home, like solar panels. 

Where possible, we work within the guidelines of an eco-build, promoting sustainable materials wherever it’s appropriate.